This article explains how to record a request for a client's personal information.
When a request is made for a client's personal information, the system can be used to help your organisation meet its compliance obligations by recording:
- the type of request
- who made the request, and
- information about what was provided.
To record a personal information request:
- Navigate to the client's contact record under the Contacts tab.
- Click on the Legal tab. You might need to use the More drop-down list at the end of the row of tabs to find this option.
- Scroll down to the Personal Information Requests section.
- Click on the New button.
- This will open a New Personal Information Request form. The Client field will auto-fill with the client's name. Click in the Date Received field and use the calendar to record the date that the request was received.
- Click on the Type of Request drop-down list and select from FOI (Freedom of Information), Ministerial or Other.
- Type into the free-text field to indicate Who Requested Information.
- Use the Status drop-down list to show whether the request is New, Active or Completed.
- The next part of the form captures information about when your organisation responded and what documentation was provided. If you're adding a new request, you might need to come back to the record and add this information later.
- You can also indicate whether the file was a JFS or Other type of file. Click on an option in the Available column and click on the right arrow to add it to the Chosen column.
- Show who provided the authority to release the information by locating a worker in the Authority to Release By field.
- Once you've added all of the available information about your request, click on the Save button.
- Your new request will be listed under Personal Information Requests. To edit this record, click on the drop-down arrow at the end of the row and select Edit.